Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Warning

I guess the news of the day is the tornado warning that went into effect yesterday.  When I saw the time for our area, I knew that my boys are normally eating lunch and would have to eat later.  Fifth eats at 12:15 and third eats at 12:30.  I asked W about the drill.  The school went into lock down, and all of the students had to sit in the hallways for 45 minutes.  For ten minutes they assumed the tornado position, then they were allowed to sit up and talk softly to one another.  He finally got to eat at 1:15.  I said that the lunch ladies probably hated it, because they had to wait so long to clean up.  W replied that they got the food and then ate in the classroom.  Yesterday was his gym day, which normally takes place after lunch, and they missed it.  That was the only thing he was upset about, lol.  L also missed his gym time and was not happy about that either.  The school is so big, that if you miss your time there is not another time you can make it up.  Now...middle school orientation.  Unless you have been living under a rock, you already know everything they discussed last night.  How to send in an absence report online, dressing out for PE, student ID cards, agendas, the teachers web pages, yadda, yadda, yadda.  This went on for an hour.  An HOUR people!  They briefly discussed the new middle school plans.  One parent asked a really great question about where the students would be, while the building was taking place.  The principle didn't answer his question.  He just stated that the new school would be two stories and hold 1000 kids, and sit in the middle of the current road.  HELLO, again, that was all in the Sunday paper.  He also stated that it would, hopefully, be finished by 2010, the year our kids would be in the eighth grade.  Needless to say the husband was trying to cut out of there early.  I told him that we were staying until the end, because we aren't coming back to orientation for the other three boys, lol.  Funniest thing that happened there, they showed a video about the school, and the library came on the screen.  Husband says, "I don't even know WHERE the library IS.  I never went in there!"  Then they talked about various clubs the kids can join, and I asked him which ones he chose.  He replied, "I was a minimalist when I was here."  "What?"  "I did the bare minimum required to get out of here."  "What about plays, that is a great way to meet girls", I said.  "I didn't have a problem with that", he replied.

A HUGE thanks to Jason and Angie for baby-sitting last night!!!

4 comments:

BE said...

My kids didn't say anything about having to do anything for tornadoes. Poor W, having to wait until after 1 to eat. :( Fun meetings, I guess that is one good thing about K-8 schools, no middle school orientations, lol!

Shannon said...

Hmmmm, that's weird. Because it hit the Stanfield, Locust area really hard yesterday. Daddy said you couldn't see it was raining so hard. The news said all the schools were in tornado safety mode. Our principal calls whenever anything like that happens, so we got the obligatory phone call right before we left for the meeting, lol.

Fantastagirl said...

Glad everything was okay -too bad about lunch being late - I understand though.

LOL about the hubby being a minimalist.

BE said...

Well, they could have had tornado drills.(or whatever it's called when it is the real thing.) My kids just didn't say anything about it. We don't get calls for that, & I didn't think to ask them.
It was raining very hard here though. You could barely see the yard through the rain. And they still waited until 2:30 to cancel B's game for that night. :)