Sunday, July 20, 2008

Back to Carowinds

My mom and I took the boys (aka the four crazies), back to Carowinds last week.  We all rode the log ride, and then we split up briefly.  She took the little ones to Boomerang Bay (water park) to save us some chairs for later, and I took the older ones to ride the Hurler.
The Hurler wasn't open yet, but the Carolina Cyclone was.  I talked the boys into riding it with me.  As we are waiting, W goes, but mom.... how can you ride this.... it flips allot.  I assured him that I rode this numerous times as a teenager and was fine.  
Well, when it came time for us to get into the seats I felt like I was having a mini-panic attack.  To make matters worse, they don't just pull on your headrest any more and go.  EACH teenager working the ride must give the thumbs up.  Then the ride operator says, " Bob is a GO, Sara is a GO, Fred is a GO".  (By now I am wondering how on earth this crappy seat-belt is going to hold me safely in this tiny car when we go upside down.  Breathing became sporadic. )  "The CAROLINA CYCLONE is a GO, enjoy the ride and thank-you for coming to Carowinds!"  What..... I'm not ready, I wanted to get out, I changed my mind, I was thinking.  Then I shouted to the boys to make sure their seat-belts and headrests were tight.  We were off.
Everything was great until the first loop.  I may or may not have screamed.  Okay... I screamed.... allot.  W was sitting with me and started laughing hysterically.  The second loop began.  L threw his hands in the air, and I shouted, "Show-off", and HE began to laugh hysterically.  The sympathy wasn't there, to say the least.  The loops were over and I was getting slightly disoriented.  But I was okay.  THEN the twists started.  They are like a corkscrew.  TWO series off them.  I held my head between my hands tightly, and closed my eyes.  Big mistake.  The world was flipping around.  When did this thing get so long?  Roller-coasters used to seem so short.
When the ride finally ended, I was borderline Vertigo challenged.  The kids were hysterical over my reaction.  Needless to say, I won't be riding that ever again in my adult life.  I got lucky and after we started walking the Vertigo headache went away.  We followed the Cyclone with some great coasters that don't go upside down.  The Hurler and Ricochet.  I STILL check the stupid seat restraints fifty-eight times before we start.  Is that an adult thing.... or just me?

8 comments:

farmersdaughter4ever said...

I think it's a mommy thing....something happens when you become a mommy and you can on longer take any risk in life w/o worry of the "things that could go wrong"...especially when it includes your kids being w/ you! I haven't had any chances to ride rollercoasters since Emma has been born, but I know I will be thinking twice or more when getting on one...funny how thing NEVER bothered me before....so you are not alone...it's not just you...promise!

farmersdaughter4ever said...

oh, btw, our mom's are having lunch this week...and they didn't invite us and our kids....what's up w/ that?...LOL!

Shannon said...

I'm glad they are getting together. We need to do the same... sans kids, lol.

Carolina Mama said...

How cool! I love Carowinds. We 'need' to take the Tigers. Love "the Crazies." Cute. Is your Dad back from New Guinea?

Fantastagirl said...

I can't wait to take the kids to Cedar Point, I loved going there as a kid - I just hope my stomach can handle the corkscrew!

Looks like they had an awesome time!

Rockin' it up said...

we were on a staff raft trip the other day and I had to ask my friend who was guiding the raft to stop spinning us in circles. I said, "seriously, I'm getting sick, can we stop spinning in circles." And he was 15 years older than me! Ugh. I can't even imagine what it will be like when I have kids and go on roller coasters!

Shannon said...

My Dad arrived safely in Charlotte last night. He is home safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

Just a note on scary rides...when flying in a SIL plane in New Guinea they weigh you and all the gear. It has to be under a certain weight. Then after everyone is in the plane, they tilt the nose up in the air by pushing down on the tail. If the nose doesn't come back down in less than 3 seconds, then there is too much weight in the back! How'd you like to go on that "ride"? Thank God, and I mean that literally, Dave is back safe and sound.
Judy