Wednesday, May 7, 2008

TIPS

Tips on redecorating a room on a budget.  I only buy paint when Lowes is having a rebate deal going on.  For example, when I purchased the paint for Levi's room, you got ten dollars back per gallon.  Since I have to prime all the walls in this house and patch cracks and holes, I bought two gallons of primer, two gallons of orange, and two gallons of white.  I got all of these with our giftcards for that year from Christmas.  So, cost for paint.....zero, and I got a rebate check six weeks later for sixty dollars.  His rug is a remnant from Lowes, it was around ten dollars.  The bedding is from Target.  I bought it on-line when it was on closeout.  I got the curtains, bedding, shelves, and the shoe holder.  They had free shipping and 20 percent off.  All of the above was sixty dollars.  The furniture was here when we moved in.  It was yellow, and puke green.  I painted them with Rustoleum oil based glossy paint (because it is more durable) around ten dollars a can, and then splurged on the knobs, around 3 dollars each.  The picture frames are from a Hobby Lobby half off sale, as are the name letters (20 dollars).  Both lamps are from Walmart (20 dollars).  We already had the street signs.  Basketball wastebasket was from Lowes, and was on closeout for two dollars.  The husband on the floor is from Bed, Bath and Beyond, I bought it with a 60 percent off coupon. It was around 8 dollars.   Clothes basket, Hobby Lobby half off sale, 10 dollars.  Magnetic board is pine paneling covered with Rustoleum magnetic paint, and chalkboard paint (don't remember the price of those but we will say 40 the magnetic paint is expensive, but it was enough to do two boards).  The two decorative pillows are from Big Lots and were five dollars together.  Add some boxes from the antique sale and a basket for books from Hobby Lobby along with the alarm clock radio, and the grand total comes to somewhere around 275.    Oh, I almost forgot the ceiling fan.  We only buy Hunter fans now (bad experiences with cheap ones making alot of racquet).  Every so often Lowes has a fan sale.  If you spend 100 dollars you get a giftcard for twenty dollars in the mail.  Everytime they have a sale I buy one.  So..... fan, 100 dollars minus twenty, 80 dollars.  So 355 minus the sixty dollar rebate check from the paint brings the total to, 295.  Not too shabby.  
Next week....W's room. Why two gallons of white?  I had to paint the ceiling people.  Yeah, it was fun, lol.

3 comments:

Rockin' it up said...

One of my girlfriends had all these old 6 (maybe 8) pained windows and she repainted them an antique white and turned them into amazing, huge picture frames with black/white pictures of her kids playing on a play ground in them. They look amazing. I was thinking of getting on from her and hanging 8x10-ish pictures of Dave and I behind our bed, since we don't have a head board. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Shannon, his room looks great! But didn't you just paint his room last year, or has the years gone by that fast?

You need a good job on decorating items also.

Debra

Shannon said...

Leigh: I think the frames are a great idea. I also am working on the same thing using the windows in the garage for frames. They also look good with patterned colored scrapbook paper in the frames, and then hang it by ribbon.
Debra: And, yes, I painted Levi's room last January. But I just hung the signs the other week. I was scared to put holes in the walls after all of that work I did, lol.