Sunday, April 20, 2008

Planting Corn

Planting corn.  See how the husband uses the back of the planter to store things?  Toolbox, check.  Graphite, check.  Extra seed, check.  Friday night he called and told me to bring his truck to the field where he was planting, as he was in need of a few more bags of seed.  I asked which one, secretly hoping for the old brown dodge.  Nope, the new white one.  The one with dual tires in the rear.  The one I have NEVER driven.  Just go slow, he tells me.  I say to myself, I CAN do this.  I drove the dumptruck home, surely I can drive this.  As I was fastening the buddies into the back, one asked me who was going to drive us to see Daddy.  Then his look of shock and horror, as he watched me climb into the drivers seat said it all.  I pulled slowly out onto the road, the one behind the house that USUALLY never has any cars passing by.  Of course, this night there were quite a few.  I am proud to say that I only ran off the side twice.  As I pulled into the field to wait, I swelled with pride over my accomplishment.  I also have to admit that the turbo DOES sound great from the drivers side, but don't tell him that I said so!

4 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Of course you can do it! Your little pep talk sounds like what my mom was saying as she was on the first one to drive the new JD 9500 combine. (well, when it was new a couple years ago)

Shannon said...

Wow, we have one of those too, but I don't know if I have the guts to drive it, lol.

Rockin' it up said...

I'm sure you were great--the boys will talk about it for years :).

P.S. Sorry I "hung up" on you today. My phone died and then I realized I'm out of minutes for the month. Our month is up on Weds though, so I'll probably call you then or Thurs :).

Shannon said...

I thought it was our phone, we have been having problems again, lol.