Thursday, April 3, 2008

First Game.......Finally

L's first baseball game was scheduled for last Saturday, with pictures before the game.  It was rained out and rescheduled for Monday.  Monday night the "make-up" game was rained out, and rescheduled for Wednesday night.  Yesterday rolled around, and finally the sun was shining.  Believe me that I am in NO WAY complaining about all of the rain, esp. after the drought we had last year.  It has rained more in the past four days then it rained all summer in our state.  Anyway, back to baseball.  It never occured to me that the middle school parking lot was THE ONLY PARKING AREA for five baseball fields.  For heavens sake, won't someone build a school in our county with some place for parents to park!!!!!  Okay, okay, I'm done ranting.  I dropped L off at the gate and searched for a space for the next ten minutes.  A few brave souls had even parked in between the buses.  Ha, not me.  Not in the suburban.  Right now my brother is probably remembering the time I "knicked" a tree coming home from some friends very, narrow driveway.  He was three years younger than me and could have done it, easily.  Okay, okay, the game.  The boys all looked so cute in their uniforms.  Orange shirts, hats, socks, and white pants.  The white pants are the reason (and only reason) that I had to drive back into town Wednesday.  They aren't getting pictures made until Sunday evening.  White pants...almost eleven year old boy....not afraid of getting the big break to slide.  Well, you get the idea.  The game went pretty smoothly.  I met some more people that the husband went to school with.  There was a concession stand selling hotdogs and corndogs and allot of junk food.  Thank goodness, because at 5:30 we had not had time to eat supper because L had some MAJOR homework this week.  It was a miracle that we got to the field by 5:32.  The game started at 6.  I had to take W and G, and the husband was working on the planter and kept S with him at the shop.  The boys had plenty of other boys to run around with.  It looked like the lost colony of boys around there.  In fact, if you drove by, you may wonder if our town had any girls, lol.  There are six teams in the 9 and 10 boys age group, and thank the lord we are only playing our own people.  That means all of the games are in our town, and no driving around like basketball.  W got to play with some old buddies that he hasn't seen in a while.  With seven classes per grade, odds are slim to none that you will get the same kids in your class next year.  They don't even all go on field trips on the same day.  So how was L?  Pretty darn great, if I do say so.  He batted two times, there was allot of "getting walked" going around because the kids are pitching at this age.  Also allot of getting to take a base because the pitcher hit someone.  He played outfield last night, and helped make a double play by catching a hit and throwing it to second base.  If I can learn the umpires gestures, I will know allot more.  We have to sit behind the fence around the outfield and you can't hear a blooming thing back there, lol.  Oh, and the hotdog I had with white slaw and chili?  Yeah, it made me sick around two last night.  I SHOULD have known better, but I was so hungry!

5 comments:

BE said...

What a busy day! But it sounds like L had a blast. Does he like baseball better than basketball? That's nice that you don't have to drive all over the county for ball games, but we know what it is like about the parking issue. We have the same thing at Stanfield, usually you end up parking on the street and walking like 1/4 mile to the field. It's ridiculous.

"B" said...

Glad the game went so well! Sounds like all the boys were able to have fun. I am sorry you got sick though- I know that is rough.

"B" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rockin' it up said...

Good to talk to you this morning. I got into the doctor and he gave me about three different kinds of pills (one was Ibprofen). So I'm good an medicated now and hopefully will be getting better soon. :)

Shannon said...

Yeah, I don't know why I thought that I could eat that hot-dog. I always get sick from stuff like that in concession stands, lol. They had me at "white slaw".