Sunday, March 2, 2008

Home-run

Yesterday W had a basketball game at 11, we left the gym and ran home for a quick lunch.  L had a game at 2.  I actually got to watch that one because W and S wanted to stay at the shop with the husband.  So I only had one buddy.  The game was quite good, and the boys ended up beating another hometown team.  One that is a little too big for it's britches, so the victory was even sweeter.  On the way to the game, L, was talking about baseball.  I could tell he really wanted to play, but he wouldn't give me a straight answer of yeah or nay.  After his game I asked one of his coaches if it was too late to sign up for baseball, and if we could be on HIS team.  He said if we went STRAIGHT to McAllister Field right then and looked for Mr. So-and-so, MAYBE we could squeak in.  Also, there was a new rule this year and nobody could ask to be on a specific team.  Apparently last year there were two stacked teams, and the rest just got killed all season long.  We went to the baseball field immediately, in search of this all-knowing guru.  Sure enough, he was dragging the ball field and came over to talk to me.  He told me all of the teams had 13 boys on them already, and they really only liked to have 12 on each team.  I guess my face looked sad, because then he said, "Hold on and let me check the lists".  I waited while he looked.  "What do you know, there is ONE spot left!  That is why old men never trust their own memory.  It is Clint Miller's team if you want it." "We'll take it!"  I had to drive around to his office inside of Town Hall to finalize the paperwork.  In the car I told L what had just happened and he said with a huge grin, "Mom....it was meant to be!"  So I guess we are going shopping for a glove and cleats later, lol.

1 comment:

Rockin' it up said...

I loved the "meant to be" statement. Gosh I can't wait to see you guys :). Is it ok if I stop by for lunch on Tuesday since mom will be teaching? I know it'll be craziness that day as usual at home. Thanks for calling me today. It was nice not to hear after everyone else--even though I'm sure I was the last Eddy :). I love yoU!