Wednesday, March 5, 2008

An Arm and A Leg

Last night I took the boy to Dick's for the previous listed items needed for baseball.  As soon as I entered the store, I KNEW that I was out of my league.  My sister-in-law had told me that they offer deals for multiple items. So, when the friendly teenage helper roamed toward me, I asked him about it.  I was told that was only for soccer.  Then, he asked me if I had gotten some coupons from the coach.  When I told him no, he said "don't move" and quickly returned with a page of coupons that ended up saving me a few bucks.  He helped us pick out a glove, and got some goop that you put on the glove, and then bake it in the oven to soften it up.  Then L saw the coaches son.  Hallelujah, that meant the coach was nearby.  He graciously helped us chose the right bat. Who knew it was so complicated now?  It has to be a certain length and weight appropriate for the child using it.  We got the pants, white for the games and gray for practice.  Then we tried on batting helmets, and apparently my son has a big head.  He can just barely squeeze into the unisex-one-size-fits-all youth helmet, but the adult one was too large.  We got some cleats, easiest part of the whole ordeal.  There were other items that I hadn't realized that he needed.  One was a cup.  I am PRETTY sure that falls into the category that requires the father, but I did my best.  They are made into boxer briefs now, and the thing makes him look like a dancer at the strip club, but what-ever.  Then there were the batting gloves, baseballs, and bat bag.  Thanks to my brother for mentioning it, because it is allot of stuff to carry back and forth three times a week.  When we left I felt like I had spent the farm in one hours time.  All I can say is, the kid better love baseball.  Oh, and now W thinks he might like to play.

4 comments:

farmersdaughter4ever said...

can I say that I dread those days which are to come...I really want all my kids to be involved in outdoor sports...it's good for them, I know that and appreciate that, but it's SO expensive! I dread the cost!...ugh! I hope he enjoys baseball!...but who knew there was so much "stuff" to get started...I thought all you really needed was a glove!...shows what I know!

BE said...

Sorry about the mix-up with package deal. I knew it was soccer, but I thought they did it with baseball too. And reading your post, I already forgot how much we had to buy! Of course we don't need cups yet, and pants were provided with the uniform, but yeah we had to get all that other stuff. And now S thinks B needs a new 'pink' bat and her own helmet (probably pink too) It never ends! Agh! But both kids love baseball/softball. They love this more than soccer for sure! Hopefully L loves it too.

"B" said...

I also never realized it took so many things to get a boy ready for baseball- sounds like you got it all together pretty nicely though! I hope Levi (and maybe Wyatt too) enjoy the season!

-B

Rockin' it up said...

hilarious! At least u picked out the cup, not him ;)
Loved seeing you yesterday!!!