Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Sister



Many of you know my sister, Leigh. She has been in South Africa helping at a church where people can leave their children in a door in the wall. It is called Door of Hope. She has fallen in love with the children there and has told me that she would bring this little boy home if she could. They do not allow Americans to adopt these babies, they want them to stay in their own culture. We talked on Skype the other day and she said leaving would be bittersweet. She misses her husband, but she will also miss these children when she arrives back home. She even told me she was going to miss their little afros. :) This trip has been life changing for her and will make her an even more awesome parent one day, when she and Dave have children of their own. Lord knows, my kids adore them both and ask us weekly if Leigh and Dave are still going to the beach with us. Someone mentioned to me once that changing to a higher paying job was "bettering yourself". I disagree. Doing something, like Leigh has, will change your life forever spiritually and mentally. THAT is "bettering yourself" (if there is such a thing). Please pray that Leigh gets on her flight as she is flying stand-by, and everything goes smoothly for her. Miss ya Leigh!



UPDATE: LEIGH GOT A FLIGHT TO SENEGAL. PRAY SHE GETS ONE TO ATLANTA.

5 comments:

CrystalW said...

Is she coming home today? I can't believe that they won't let those kids be adopted. They would rather they get raised by different people instead of having a stable family. F.Y.I. For some reason the picture is not showin up.

Nancy M. said...

I agree, what your sister is doing is way better than a high paying job! She sounds like a wonderful woman. It is sad they won't let people adopt those babies. They will just be left in an orphanage, right? Wish I could see the pic.

Shannon said...

They can be adopted by people in Africa or surrounding areas, just not by Americans.

Cliff said...

You are correct. Great post. I hope she is state side by now.

CrystalW said...

Did Leigh make it home?