Sunday, December 14, 2008

History

We have an awesome museum right here in Mount Pleasant that is full of history.  All the items are donated by local families that have lived here for many, many generations.  The actual museum is in an old boys college that is in town.  I have been meaning to take L and W for years now, and decided Christmas was the perfect time to go.  One of the four story dormitories is now full of wonders, and also decorated for Christmas.  The hubs family has been here for many moons and their names are all over the place inside.  The boys had fun finding a name here and there on each floor.  An old lady was sitting at the entrance to each floor and would ask you what your name was and who you were related to.   Each time I said the hubs grandfathers name they would get misty eyed remembering their old friend.  We would remanence  for a short while and then they would ask where I lived and invite me to church.  One of the ladies said how happy Lipe would be that we were living in his house and raising four boys and farming the land.  She asked me to keep an eye out for any books containing her families history when I spoke of the books we had that were written by Big George.  W took his camera and took pics all over the place, and L loved all of the arrowheads and gems.  L had a buddy spending the night and he thanked me for taking him and told me that was his FIRST museum.   In one of the rooms downstairs they were having a bake sale.  As we entered there were snacks out on a table.  An elderly lady hollered out, "Free snacks boys."  "Free?" W asked, just to make sure.  "Yep, have at it!" she replied.  It was hilarious.  I bought a pound cake, cookies and a loaf of bread all made from scratch and perfectly mouth watering.  I told the ladies they were going to get me in trouble, because the hubs would want me to start cooking stuff like this, lol.  One looked me square in the eyes and said, "Oh it isn't hard, honey, anyone can do it if they try."  I was going to take the buddies but the hubs reminded me how they acted in the old jail at the beach.  "I think little kids have a radar for these things," he said, "they know they shouldn't be touching everything.... but they just can't help themselves."   Long story short, they stayed home and "helped" load a truck with corn.

9 comments:

Amanda said...

That sounds like such fun! I love poking around museums like that where there's real living history to see from a town.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I used to take all the boys there every year! I believe they enjoyed it as much as I did! I love going back in time and the smell of the old house, real Christmas trees, it always put you in the Chrismtas spirit!

I was thinking about that the other day, when I was bringing the twins home from my place.


Grandma Debra

Net Strand said...

Loading a truck of corn will wear off the energy too. Right! Mine were tired from unloading a cord of wood.

Love the teacher ideas.

Shannon said...

The funny thing was the museum smelled like our house, lol. The trees were not real.

Nancy M. said...

I didn't realize there was a museum in Mt. Pleasant. We use to live not far from there in Kannapolis.

I love seeing all the old things at museums.

Cliff said...

Well run small town museums are great. Ours has a small staff working everyday. They do a great job. I'm glad the boys were good.

Elizabeth said...

Not only is it a "general" history museum, but a museum of your kids' own history. That's pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really good time. We love history and cool stuff like that.

Cliff said...

Yeah Shannon, the weather people have been promising a day of moderate temps today ahead of the next blast from the north. Our 'moderate' day has begun with a -7. I was thinking more moderate than that.
The key is wind or no wind. So far no wind but that will change.