Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Soybean Harvest

Soybean harvest is in full swing.  Monday morning I was on my way to Lowe's and got the call to "abort" that plan and go straight to John Deere.  The combine header is giving the hubs some major trouble.  The good thing, was that they had the parts in stock and were waiting on me when I got there, lol.  I didn't even have to stand in line.  
The fire ants are ridiculous.  The ant hills are very corse and rough on the combine to ingest.  It is so bad here in NC that our county (and about 39 others) have been quarantined.  We can't sell hay to anyone outside of our county because we will spread it more.
The chemical companies better get onto it stat, because this is getting out of hand fast.  The hubs has noticed that certain fields that were sprayed with different chemicals aren't as bad.  And no, he can't just pick up the header when he sees one, because it would never get put back down.
One fella that the hubs went to school with told me it is so bad in one of his fields that he won't get off of the tractor to pee, lol.  If you have ever stepped in a hill, you understand.
That is about it for now.  Runs for parts and calls to check the market, and come be a "follow behind" vehicle are filling my days.  More later.

9 comments:

BE said...

Yeah, we have tons of fire ant hills around our house. We can't even let the kids off the concrete to play! Shaun has tried many "fire ant killers", but that hasn't helped much. I hope they all migrate on somewhere else (or die, lol)
Are fire ants good for anything?

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh no. I can't imagine how terrible they must be! Hope those chemicals take care of them stat!

Cliff said...

Oh my word. I'll stop complaining about our 10 zero temps this winter. That must be why they're not up north. Good luck.

Shannon said...

Yeah, I can't let the buddies play in the yard around the garden. That is where they are the worst in our yard.

Fantastagirl said...

I don't know anything about fire ants - but sounds like I don't want to! I hope they are able to get the under control.

May you have a safe bean harvest.

Carolina Mama said...

Bless your heart. That is something to combat. I have a Twins Giveaway. Know a Twins Mama? The book "It's Twins!" ;)

Amanda said...

Wow. I didn't know there were fire ants outside of Texas and those parts. I hope the chemical companies get it figured out soon!

Elizabeth said...

And THIS is why I like reading your blog - you live in a whole different world than mine, and you remind me to think of other lifestyles and all the hard work that Americans put into their jobs, families and country.

Darn ants! Ugh. We had them in GA where I grew up. Mean suckers!

twin power mommy ♥ said...

Fire ants sound terrible!

I've heard their sting hurts like no other!!!

Don't think i want them near me.

A regular ant makes me swell so big.

ouch..